June 4-5, 2008: Added a publications list and two articles by the Rev. John Bowen-Jones.
March 20, 2008: The first update in over four years! Moved these pages to a new server: http://timbergroves.com/family. Also, tidied up the applet a bit and made some database updates.
Jan 23, 2004: Added information on John Mair. I'm very grateful to Charles Esson for the research that produced this information.
This applet lets you explore the family tree database. Since this includes information about living people, a username and password are required to access it. Email me if you don't know your username and password.The applet provides five different views of the genealogy data:
- All of the detail information for the individual being displayed including parents, spouses, and children. Clicking on a parent, spouse, or child will display the family group view for that selected parent, spouse, or child.
- Displays a four generation pedigree chart for an individual. Also lists spouses and children of the individual at the root of the tree. Birth and death information is displayed for a person as the mouse cursor travels over that individual. You can navigate up the tree by clicking on an ancestor.
- Any notes on an individual, such as sources for information.
- Lists all individuals in the data base in alphabetical order by last name, and allows you to search for a particular surname of interest.
- Shows counts of all unique surnames contained in the database. The list can be ordered alphabetically by surname or by the frequency the surname appears in the file.
Currently available charts:
Let me know if there are other ancestor or descendant charts that you'd like to see.
- Ancestors of Judge Ivor Bowen
- Ancestors of Maisie Dummett
- Ancestors of James Esson
- Ancestors of James Lindsay Salmond Smith
Technical Issue with Viewing the Charts
- NOTE: if you are using Microsoft Internet Explorer, it may shrink the image to fit on the screen, instead of letting you scroll down it, thus making it completely unreadable. To fix this:
- Go to the Tools menu
- Select Internet Options
- Select the Advanced tab
- Scroll down to Multimedia
- Uncheck the box labelled "Enable Automatic Image Resizing"
- Ivor Bowen, 1862-1934
- Mentioned in the Dictionary of Welsh Biography
- Note on the Family History and Pedigree by Judge Ivor Bowen, K.C.
- Coat of Arms at Gray's Inn
- Certificate of Marriage to Edith May Dummett
- 1901 Census data on the household at 25 Park Place, Cardiff Glamorgan
- Image of the census page
- Article in 'Cronicl Powys (original url)
- Mentions in the London Gazette, 1915-1918
- John Bowen-Jones, 1829-1905
- Edith May (Maisie) Dummett, born 1884
- Joseph Dummett, born 1846
- Sadly, the following information refers to a different Joseph Dummett, not my great-great-uncle, except for the 1851 census data. This other Joseph Dummett was about the same age but lived in Somerton, Somerset, before emigrating to Canada. Thanks to Anne Bell for establishing that these were two different people.
- Robert Dummett, born 1843 Braunton, North Devon
- Robert Dummett, born 1801 Braunton, North Devon
- Notes by Charles Esson:
- Margaret Esson
- James Esson, born 1866
- Isabella Gray, born 1856
- William Gray, born 1811
- Elizabeth Lindsay (also Elizabeth Salmond)
- Louisa Lindsay, born ~1828
- Janet Lucas (also Jannet Lucas)
- John Mair
- Letter from Charles Esson re John Mair
- Extract from the records of the Church Session of Cairney, 1880, in which Isabella Gray presented a written acknowledgment from John Mair of the paternity of her illegitimate child.
- Obituary in the Aberdeen Press and Journal 27 January, 1927
- William Salmond, born 1834, Kirkham, Forfarshire
- Alexander Salmond Smith
- James Lindsay Salmond Smith
- Andrew Kyd Smith
- William Salmond Smith
- Andrew Kyd Smith, born 1856
Thanks to the following people for contributing to this web site:
- Charles Esson has contributed a great deal of information based on extensive research.
- Bob Lindsay Smith provided a GEDCOM file with lots of data. He also contributed the images of the marriage certificates of our grandmother, Maisie Dummett, and the obituary of Robert Dummett from the North Devon Journal.
- Frances Bowen contributed some notes from Charles Esson, including the Esson and Gray family trees.
- Isobel Bowen contributed the note by Judge Ivor Bowen. She also got me started on all this with initial information about the Smiths and the Essons.
- Ivor Richard Bowen contributed photographs of Ivor Bowen, Maisie Dummett, John Bowen-Jones, Ann (Owen) Bowen-Jones, and Mary (Griffiths) Bowen. He also contributed information about his children and grand-children, as well as extracts from the Dictionary of Welsh Biography and The Times concerning Ivor Bowen and his father John Bowen Jones.
- Katy Deragon filled in a number of birth dates and places.
- Moira Knackstedt provided information about William Smith's and Alexander Smith's descendents.
- Chris Stillwell wrote the Java applet and made it available as shareware.
- Roger Chubb provided the pictures of Robert Dummett the Blind Postman, his son Robert Dummett, and the Gould brothers. Roger also contributed indirectly to this web site by contributing to the LDS database the data on Dummetts and Goulds that I got from there.
- Lucy King provided information about her family.
- Anne Bell let me know that I had confused two different Joseph Dummetts.